These easy zucchini muffins are made with ricotta and reduced-fat feta so theyre still super-cheesy but are way better for you. Pop them in the lunchbox for a great snack or light lunch.
The ingredient of Healthier zucchini and feta muffins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 zucchini, trimmed
- 320g (2 cups) wholemeal self-raising flour
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
- 125g (1/2 cup) low-fat fresh ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 125g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
The instruction how to make Healthier zucchini and feta muffins
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan forced. Lightly grease twelve 80ml (1/3 cup) muffin pans.
- Combine the oil, shallot and garlic in a small frying pan. Heat gently over low heat until the oil just starts to bubble and the shallot has softened slightly. Transfer to a bowl (with all the oil). Stir in the lemon rind and set aside to cool.
- Use a julienne peeler to cut the zucchini into long thin strips (or coarsely grate).
- Place the flour in a large bowl, add the cayenne pepper and season with salt. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the buttermilk, ricotta and eggs together in a jug until smooth. Pour the milk mixture and shallot mixture into the well and stir until just combined. Fold in nearly all the zucchini and feta, reserving a little of both to decorate the tops of the muffins.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared pans (they will be very full) and top with the reserved zucchini and feta. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the muffins spring back when gently touched. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Use a flat-bladed knife to gently loosen each muffin and remove from the pan. Eat warm or at room temperature.
Nutritions of Healthier zucchini and feta muffinscalories: