This chicken and rice main is loaded with Middle Eastern spices and is buget-friendly, too.
The ingredient of Zaatar roasted chicken with saffron spinach pilaf recipe
- 2kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, halved, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 1u20442 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons zau2019atar spice mix
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 60g baby spinach
The instruction how to make Zaatar roasted chicken with saffron spinach pilaf recipe
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Pat chicken dry with paper towel, including cavity. Place lemon inside cavity. Tie legs with kitchen string. Combine 1u20443 cup oil and zau2019atar spice mix in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Rub all over chicken.
- Place chicken, breast-side up, on a wire rack in a roasting pan. Pour 2 cups water into pan. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer (cover chicken with foil in the last 30 minutes if over-browning). Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and rice. Stir for 1 minute or until fragrant and coated.
- Add stock, cinnamon, saffron, thyme and goji berries. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard thyme. Stir in spinach.
- Spoon pilaf into a large serving dish. Top with chicken. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Zaatar roasted chicken with saffron spinach pilaf recipecalories: 610.406 calories
calories: 27.1 grams fat
calories: 8.1 grams saturated fat
calories: 49.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40.5 grams protein
calories: 141 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 716 milligrams sodium