For a hearty and healthy dinner, try this vegetarian version of moussaka, replacing meat with lentils.
The ingredient of Lentil moussaka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (150g) dried brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 340g potatoes
- 600g eggplant, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 500g no-fat Greek-style yoghurt
The instruction how to make Lentil moussaka
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook celery, carrot, onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add lentils, tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice and u2154 cup (160ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until just tender. Drain. Cut into 5mm-thick slices.
- Preheat grill on high. Lightly spray eggplant with oil and place on a baking tray. Grill eggplant, in batches, for 1u20132 minutes each side or until browned.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C or 160u00b0C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 3 litre (12-cup) capacity ovenproof dish with oil. Spread a little of the lentil mixture over base of prepared dish. Top with half the eggplant, then half the remaining lentil mixture. Layer potato over lentil mixture, then layer with remaining lentil mixture and eggplant.
- Whisk eggs and yoghurt in a bowl until combined. Spread yoghurt mixture over eggplant layer. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Cut into slices to serve.
Nutritions of Lentil moussakacalories: