This healthier version of southern fried chicken will become a favourite recipe this BBQ season.
The ingredient of Louisiana grilled chicken
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 50g butter, melted
- Barbecued corn cobs, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g chargrilled red capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
The instruction how to make Louisiana grilled chicken
- Preheat a barbecue (with hood) hotplate on medium.
- Pat chicken dry (including cavity) with paper towel. Place chicken on a chopping board, breast-side down, with the cavity facing you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of backbone and discard. Open out chicken. Turn over. Press down with heel of your hand, to flatten.
- Combine spices, oil and garlic in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture all over chicken. Season with salt. Cook chicken, skin-side down, on greased hotplate for 5 minutes or until skin is golden and crisp. Turn chicken. Cook, with hood closed, for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Capsicum and Tomato Salsa Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato, capsicum, vinegar and sugar. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for 5 minutes or until salsa is thick. Stir in coriander. Set aside for 10 minutes (see note).
- Add lemon zest to melted butter. Season. Cut chicken into pieces. Place on a serving platter with tomato salsa. Drizzle chicken with butter mixture. Serve with corn and lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Louisiana grilled chickencalories: 712.459 calories
calories: 48.9 grams fat
calories: 15.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 21.1 grams carbohydrates
calories: 43.3 grams protein
calories: 198 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 325 milligrams sodium