Shortcut ingredients make these spicy bites extra easy. You can also make them ahead and freeze, perfect for entertaining.
The ingredient of Cheats chicken enchilada empanadas recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 125g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 150g barbecue chicken, shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 200g jar Old El Paso Hot Taco Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 6 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- 2 egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 200g (2 cups) coarsely grated jalapenu0303o cheddar or mozzarella
- Sour cream, to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Sliced avocado, to serve
- Thinly sliced long fresh red chilli, to serve
The instruction how to make Cheats chicken enchilada empanadas recipe
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add beans, chicken and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until well combined and aromatic. Add the taco sauce and coriander. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use an 11cm round pastry cutter to cut 24 discs from the pastry dough. Lightly brush edge of discs with egg yolk. Place 1 tablespoonful of the filling on 1 half of each pastry disc. Top with the cheese. Fold pastry in half to enclose the filling. Use a fork to press down edges to seal. Transfer to prepared tray.
- Lightly brush the tops of the empanadas with egg yolk. Use the tip of a knife to pierce the top of each empanada a few times (this helps steam escape). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Top with sour cream, avocado, chilli and extra coriander. Season and serve.
Nutritions of Cheats chicken enchilada empanadas recipecalories: 530.102 calories
calories: 34.5 grams fat
calories: 16.7 grams saturated fat
calories: 39 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14.6 grams protein