Slather on sweet and sticky teriyaki glaze and get grilling these Japanese skewers.
The ingredient of Street-style chicken skewers recipe
- 10 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cmu2010thick strips
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 24 long fresh green chillies
- 1u20102 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green shallots, cut into 5cm lengths
- 125ml (1/2 cup) mirin
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cooking sake
- 60ml (1/4 cup) light soy sauce
- 2 x 5cm pieces peeled lemon zest
- 2 large Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 60ml (1/4 cup) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
The instruction how to make Street-style chicken skewers recipe
- To make the teriyaki sauce, combine the mirin, sugar, sake and soy sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Stir for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Stir in the lemon zest. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place two-thirds of the teriyaki sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate. Place 12 bamboo skewers in a dish of water and set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, preheat an enclosed barbecue on low. Place the garlic bulb on the grill and cook, with barbecue hood closed, for 25 minutes. Add the chillies, close and cook, turning garlic and chillies halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes or until tender. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic out of skins into a small food processor. Cut down the length of each chilli and deseed. Add the chilli flesh to the processor. Process, adding the oil in a thin, steady stream, until almost smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- To make the Japanese salad, place cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes or until cucumber starts to release its juices. Drain then transfer to a serving bowl. Combine vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a jug and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour dressing over cucumber and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Starting with the shallot, alternately thread shallot and chicken onto soaked bamboo skewers, discarding marinade.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on medium-low. Cook the chicken, basting with the remaining teriyaki sauce, for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through and starting to caramelise. Serve with the green chilli and garlic paste and the Japanese salad.
Nutritions of Street-style chicken skewers recipecalories: 786.071 calories
calories: 34.7 grams fat
calories: 9.6 grams saturated fat
calories: 39.3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 65.8 grams protein