Try this hearty twist on traditional lasagne tonight!
The ingredient of Meatball lasagne
- 500g pork and veal mince
- 35g (1/2 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 400g btl Napoletana pasta sauce
- 10 dried lasagne sheets
- 200g thinly sliced smoked ham
- 250g (2 1/2 cups) coarsely grated mozzarella
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 25g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan
- Fresh basil leaves, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make Meatball lasagne
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the mince, breadcrumbs, egg and chopped basil in a large bowl. Season well. Use clean wet hands to mix until well combined. Shape heaped tablespoonfuls of the mince mixture into balls. Transfer to prepared tray. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes, if time permits.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs, in batches, for 5 minutes or until browned, then transfer to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan forced. Lightly grease a 19 x 26cm baking dish. Lightly spread one-third of the Napoletana sauce over the base. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets, breaking the sheets to fit, if necessary. Spread with one-third of the ham, half the meatballs and one-third of the mozzarella. Repeat with half of the remaining Napoletana sauce, another layer of lasagne sheets, half of the remaining ham, the remaining meatballs and half of the remaining mozzarella. Finish with the remaining sauce, lasagna sheets, ham and mozzarella.
- Pour over the water and sprinkle with the parmesan. Cover with baking paper and foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with basil leaves.
Nutritions of Meatball lasagnecalories: 513.85 calories
calories: 27 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 21 grams carbohydrates
calories: 45 grams protein