Considered as essential to Thanksgiving as the turkey, this classic (and more-ish) American dessert is a winner.
The ingredient of Pecan pie
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 150g (2/3 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
- 160ml (2/3 cup) golden syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 240g (2 cups) pecan halves
- Whipped cream, to serve
- 200g (1 1/3 cups) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
The instruction how to make Pecan pie
- To make pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and, using your fingers, rub into flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon iced water in a small bowl, then pour into well. Using a round-bladed knife, stir until mixture forms a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 2.5cm-thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 30cm diameter disc. Line pan with dough, then trim and discard excess. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Line pastry with baking paper, fill with dried beans or pastry weights and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Remove beans and paper. Reduce oven to 175C.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, place butter, sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan over lowu2013medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Add eggs and vanilla, and whisk to combine. Scatter pecans over pastry base and pour over golden syrup mixture. Place on an oven tray and bake for 35 minutes or until filling is browned and firm to the touch. Cool in pan to room temperature.
- Cut pie into wedges and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Nutritions of Pecan piecalories: 885.256 calories
calories: 57 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 79 grams carbohydrates
calories: 54 grams sugar
calories: 13 grams protein
calories: 218 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 136.75 milligrams sodium