David Prior shares this classic Sicilian sardine pasta recipe thats flavoured with fennel fronds and sweet sultanas.
The ingredient of Pasta con le sarde (pasta with sardines)
- 300g bucatini or other long dried pasta
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (140g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 1 1/2 tbs tomato paste
- 4 anchovies, drained on paper towel
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine
- 12 fresh sardine fillets
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 1/3 cup (50g) pine nuts, toasted
- Generous pinch saffron threads
The instruction how to make Pasta con le sarde (pasta with sardines)
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup (250ml) water.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a frypan over medium heat, then add breadcrumbs and cook, tossing, for 2-3 minutes until golden. Transfer crumbs to a bowl and wipe pan clean.
- Heat remaining 75ml oil in the pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and fennel, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a few seconds. Add anchovies and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until melted and combined. Add wine and bring to a simmer. Add sardine fillets, sultanas, pine nuts and saffron, then stir to combine. Add enough of the reserved cooking water to loosen the mixture, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes until slightly reduced. Season, then toss sauce with the bucatini.
- To serve, scatter the pasta with the toasted breadcrumbs and top with the reserved fennel fronds.
Nutritions of Pasta con le sarde (pasta with sardines)calories: 611.84 calories
calories: 37.6 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 46.3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4.4 grams sugar
calories: 22.9 grams protein
calories: 112 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 620 milligrams sodium