Take soups from starters to the main event with this top Greek recipe. Its hearty, tasty and budget-friendly, too.
The ingredient of Greek lemon soup (Avgolemono)
- 2L (8 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 50g (1/4 cup) white long-grain rice
- 2 eggs
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Lemon wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Greek lemon soup (Avgolemono)
- Combine stock and rice in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk the eggs in a heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in lemon juice. Gradually whisk in a ladleful (about 125ml/1/2 cup) of stock mixture. Gradually add another ladleful of stock mixture, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half the remaining stock. Add the egg mixture to the remaining stock. Cook, stirring, over very low heat for 2-3 minutes or until soup thickens slightly (do not boil).
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup among bowls and sprinkle with mint and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Greek lemon soup (Avgolemono)calories: 129.06 calories
calories: 5 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 14 grams carbohydrates
calories: 1 grams sugar
calories: 7 grams protein
calories: 2081.49 milligrams sodium