Serve this aromatic and delicious soup topped with croutons and sprigs of thyme.
The ingredient of French onion soup with cider
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1kg onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 355ml bottle alcoholic dry cider
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 150g gruyere, grated
- Sprigs of thyme, to serve
The instruction how to make French onion soup with cider
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are deep golden. Add cider and simmer until reduced by half, then add stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a foil-lined tray and cook both sides under a hot grill until dried but not browned. Spread with mustard and top with cheese, then grill until cheese bubbles and browns. Serve with the hot soup.
Nutritions of French onion soup with cidercalories: 441.911 calories
calories: 30 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 25 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14 grams sugar
calories: 14 grams protein
calories: 84 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1193.79 milligrams sodium