This easy beef brisket stew, topped with cheesy bread dumplings, is the ultimate hearty dish for chilly evenings. Its also a great meal prep option when youve got a busy week ahead.
The ingredient of Slow-cooked Italian beef stew with cheesy garlic bread bombs recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 900g beef brisket, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 90g (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 2 x 400g cans Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1.75L (7 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Fresh continental parsley leaves, finely chopped, to serve
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 120g unsalted butter, chilled
- 185ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
- 150g mozzarella, cut into 15 even pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
The instruction how to make Slow-cooked Italian beef stew with cheesy garlic bread bombs recipe
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over high heat. In batches, add the beef and cook, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef. Set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic to the dish. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat. Add the wine and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until reduced. Add the beef, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and rosemary. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 1.5 hours or until starting to become tender. Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the beef is very tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- For the bread bombs, whisk together the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Coarsely grate 80g of the butter and add to the bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the buttermilk. Use a flat-bladed knife to stir until the dough just comes together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Shape the dough into a 2cm-thick square. Cut into 15 pieces. Flatten a piece of dough on the palm of your hand. Place 1 piece of mozzarella in the middle. Bring the edges up to enclose and press to seal. Roll into a ball. Place, seam-side down, on a plate. Continue with the remaining dough and mozzarella until you have 15 bread bombs.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Place the garlic and remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Arrange the bread bombs on top of the soup. Brush the bread bombs with the garlic butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
Nutritions of Slow-cooked Italian beef stew with cheesy garlic bread bombs recipecalories: