Theres no need to order out. Cosy up with our Persian pork and lentil stew, perfect for long, cold nights with the family.
The ingredient of Persian pork and lentil stew
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 600g boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 large celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 110g (1/2 cup) French green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- 2 tbs pomegranate arils
- Steamed green beans, to serve
The instruction how to make Persian pork and lentil stew
- Preheat oven to 160C /140C fan forced. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over high heat. Cook the pork, in 2 batches, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cumin, cinnamon and allspice. Stir for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Return pork to pan with tomatoes, lentils and 500ml (2 cups) water. Bring to the boil. Cover. Roast for 2 hours or until pork is tender. Add a little more water if stew becomes too thick. Stir in honey. Season.
- Combine mint, parsley and pomegranate arils. Serve pork and lentil stew with steamed beans and the herb salad.
Nutritions of Persian pork and lentil stewcalories: 356.349 calories
calories: 9.5 grams fat
calories: 2.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 27.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 34 grams protein