Celebrate St Patricks Day with a hearty beef and Guinness stew.
The ingredient of Beef and Guinness stew with whipped potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1.5kg beef blade or chuck steak, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 50g sachet tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 440ml can Guinness
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel beef stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 200g bacon, cut into strips
- 12 (300g) small shallots, peeled
- 150g button mushrooms
- 1.5kg equal-sized desiree or king edward potatoes, peeled, halved
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream or milk
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Steamed green beans, to serve
The instruction how to make Beef and Guinness stew with whipped potatoes
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a casserole dish over high heat, then cook beef, in 2 batches, turning until browned. Remove and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon oil to dish and cook celery, carrots and onion for 8 minutes. Stir in paste then flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add wine and Guinness then simmer until reduced by 1/2. Add stock and simmer until reduced by 1/2. Return beef to pan with bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Cover dish with a lid. Transfer to oven and cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and keep warm. Heat remaining oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon and shallots and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until shallots are softened. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add bacon mixture to cooking liquid and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to dish and reheat.
- Meanwhile, steam potatoes, in a steamer over a pan of simmering water for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain water from pan. Add butter and cream and heat until boiling. Add potatoes and, using electric beaters (or a potato masher or ricer), beat until smooth. Serve stew, scattered with parsley on potatoes, with beans.
Nutritions of Beef and Guinness stew with whipped potatoescalories: 1015.511 calories
calories: 62 grams fat
calories: 29 grams saturated fat
calories: 36 grams carbohydrates
calories: 11 grams sugar
calories: 66 grams protein
calories: 256 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1196.51 milligrams sodium