Make the most of winter veggies and serve this tender, slow-cooked beef and barley stew with a fresh kale and Brussels sprout salad.
The ingredient of Slow-cooked beef and barley stew
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g Coles Australian Gravy Beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) reduced-salt beef stock
- 1/2 cup (100g) pearl barley
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 175g kale, chopped
- 200g Brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
The instruction how to make Slow-cooked beef and barley stew
- Heat the oil in a large casserole pan over medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in 4 batches, turning occasionally, for 3 mins or until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the onion, fennel, carrot and celery to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min or until aromatic. Return the beef to the pan with the tomato, beef stock, barley, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 2 hours or until the beef is very tender. Season.
- To make the kale and brussels sprout salad, combine the kale, brussels sprout and fennel in a large bowl. Place the oil, vinegar, mustard and honey in a screw-top jar. Shake until well combined. Season. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine. Serve with the beef stew.
Nutritions of Slow-cooked beef and barley stewcalories: 401.759 calories
calories: 14 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 28 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams sugar
calories: 34 grams protein
calories: 554 milligrams sodium