Slow-cook this hearty stew of tender ham and white beans on the Sunday, ready for an easy midweek meal on Tuesday or Wednesday.
The ingredient of Hearty ham hock and bean stew
- 375g pkt dried white beans, rinsed
- 2 large (about 1.9kg) ham hocks or ham bones
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh continental parsley
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to serve
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 875ml (3 1/2 cups) water
- 2 bunches baby Dutch carrots, scrubbed
- 300g (2 cups) frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
- Baby parsley leaves, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Hearty ham hock and bean stew
- Place the white beans in a bowl. Cover with cold water. Set aside for 8 hours or overnight to soak. Drain. Rinse under cold running water.
- Place the hocks or bones, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, parsley and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, skimming the foam off the surface and discarding, for 2 hours or until meat is falling off the bone. Transfer hocks or bones to a large bowl. Strain the stock, reserving liquid. Discard the vegies and herbs. Once cool, coarsely shred the ham and discard the bones and fat.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until soft and aromatic. Stir in the white beans. Add water and 3 cups of the reserved ham stock. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until beans are just soft. Add the carrots. Simmer for a further 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Use the back of a spoon to gently crush some of the beans against the side of the pan to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Stir in the broad beans and ham until just warmed through. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve drizzled with extra oil.
Nutritions of Hearty ham hock and bean stewcalories: 479.912 calories
calories: 17 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 43 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40 grams protein