Serve this tender beef and vegetable stew with fresh bread to mop up the all the sauce.
The ingredient of Winter beef and root vegetable stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1kg Coles Australian Beef Chuck Casserole Steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 330ml bottle apple cider
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 turnip, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 150g brown mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Coles Bakery Stone Baked Sourdough bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Winter beef and root vegetable stew
- Preheat oven to 150C. Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Season beef and cook, in 2 batches, for 5 mins or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Cook the onion, carrot and celery for 10 mins or until lightly caramelised. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 mins. Gradually stir in the apple cider and stock. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Season. Bring to the boil. Cover and bake for 2 hours, adding the turnip, parsnip and mushroom in the last hour of cooking, or until the beef is tender.
- Stir through the parsley. Serve the beef stew with the bread.
Nutritions of Winter beef and root vegetable stewcalories: