Somewhere between a soup and a stew, this one-pot wonder features mouth-watering layers of potato, fish and shellfish.
The ingredient of Caldeirada de peixe (Portuguese fish stew)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 red capsicums, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 4 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) dry white wine
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 (about 450g) swordfish steaks, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 (about 450g) thick ling fish fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 16 (about 800g) green medium prawns, peeled, tails left intact
- 16 black mussels, debearded, scrubbed
- 1 garlic clove, extra, peeled, halved
- 1 baguette (French breadstick), thickly sliced diagonally, toasted
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Caldeirada de peixe (Portuguese fish stew)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, capsicum and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the potato, tomato, wine, bay leaves and peppercorns to the onion mixture. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until the potato is just tender.
- Arrange the swordfish and ling pieces evenly on top of the onion mixture. Top with the prawns and mussels. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mussels open. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Rub the cut sides of the extra garlic over 1 side of the toasts. Divide the fish mixture among serving dishes. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve with the garlic toasts.
Nutritions of Caldeirada de peixe (Portuguese fish stew)calories: 982.29 calories
calories: 28 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 62 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14 grams sugar
calories: 106 grams protein
calories: 359 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1523.44 milligrams sodium