Hearty and filling, yet low in fat, this Moroccan stew is the perfect family meal.
The ingredient of Slow-cooker Moroccan beef and barley stew
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 600g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, halved lengthways, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Middle Eastern spice blend (harissa)
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Plain Greek-style yoghurt, optional, to serve
- Steamed rice, (small portion) to serve
- Steamed vegetables to serve
The instruction how to make Slow-cooker Moroccan beef and barley stew
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add half the beef to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to the bowl of a 5.5 litre slow cooker. Repeat with half the remaining oil and remaining beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and spice mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 11u20442 cups cold water. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over beef. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 4 hours. Add raisins, barley and 1 cup cold water. Cover. Cook for a further 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Spoon beef over a small portion of rice. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve topped with yoghurt (if desired) and a portion of steamed vegetables.
Nutritions of Slow-cooker Moroccan beef and barley stewcalories: 712.459 calories
calories: 17 grams fat
calories: 5.7 grams saturated fat
calories: 89.6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 41.7 grams protein
calories: 100 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 385 milligrams sodium