Cornbread and yoghurt dumplings make a fantastic topping for this hearty beef stew.
The ingredient of Mexican slow cooked beef stew with cornbread dumplings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican chilli
- 2 x 400g cans baby roma tomatoes
- 1 cup Massel beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- SAXA Pink Himalayan Salt Flakes, to season
- Jalna Greek Natural Yoghourt, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups Jalna Greek Natural Yoghourt
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Mexican slow cooked beef stew with cornbread dumplings
- Preheat oven to 160C or 140C fan-forced.
- Season beef. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large flameproof baking dish over medium-high heat. Cook third of beef for 2-3 minutes or until well browned. Set aside. Repeat in 2 more batches with remaining oil and beef.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add spices and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes, stock, paste and sugar and stir until combined. Return meat to pan with any juices. Season and bring to the boil. Cook, covered, in oven for 2u00bd hours.
- Increase oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Combine all ingredients for dumplings in a large bowl. Season and stir until combined. Dollop heaped spoonfuls of dough over hot stew. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until dumplings are golden and cooked through.
Nutritions of Mexican slow cooked beef stew with cornbread dumplingscalories: