A chicken Maryland refers to a cut of chicken which includes the leg and thigh. Use this budget-friendly cut to make this hearty slow-cooker stew.
The ingredient of Slow-cooker chicken Maryland and mushroom stew
- 6 chicken marylands
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g bacon, chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1kg baby potatoes
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms
- 200g brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300g green beans
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
The instruction how to make Slow-cooker chicken Maryland and mushroom stew
- Heat half of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place flour in large bag. Season. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cook chicken in 2 batches, for 6-7 minutes or until well browned all over. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in same pan for 3 minutes or until well browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a 5.5L slow cooker. Cook onion, thyme and garlic, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to slow-cooker with potatoes and dried mushrooms.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Cook fresh mushrooms, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to slow-cooker. Add white wine to pan and bring to the boil. Scraps any brown bits from base or pan and boil for 3 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Add stock and transfer to slow-cooker. Arrange chicken in cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours. Quickly place beans on top of chicken. Cook, covered, on low for another 1 hour. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving dish. Stir cream through sauce and check seasoning. Pour over chicken.
Nutritions of Slow-cooker chicken Maryland and mushroom stewcalories: