This succulent beef stew is delicious with the crunchy potato cakes.
The ingredient of Braised beef and mushrooms with potato cakes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 800g gravy beef, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 80ml (1/3 cup) dry red wine
- 2 Massel beef style stock cubes, crumbled
- 1L (4 cups) boiling water
- 75g (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 250g button mushrooms, halved
- 6 (about 800g) desiree potatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour, extra
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 120g baby spinach leaves, washed, dried
The instruction how to make Braised beef and mushrooms with potato cakes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large saucepan over high heat. Add half of the beef and cook, uncovered, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to a plate, repeat with the remaining beef and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in the pan over high heat. Add the spring onions and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until the onions brown and soften slightly. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return beef to the pan and add garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until wine reduces by half. Stir in the stock cubes, water and tomato paste. Cover and bring to the boil, Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until beef is tender and sauce thickens slightly.then a remaining potato cake. Spoon the beef mixture and sauce over the top and serve immediately.
- Meanwhile, grate the potatoes coarsely. Place the potatoes, eggs and extra flour in a large bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the potato mixture into 12 portions.
- Preheat oven to 120u00b0C. Line a baking tray with paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. To cook 3 potato cakes at a time, add 3 portions of potato mixture to pan and use a spoon to spread to 10cm discs. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until brown underneath. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to lined tray and place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture in 3 more batches.
- Add the spring onions to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide half of the potato cakes among serving plates, top with the spinach and then a remaining potato cake. Spoon the beef mixture and sauce over the top and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Braised beef and mushrooms with potato cakescalories: 526.278 calories
calories: 26 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 28 grams carbohydrates
calories: 5 grams sugar
calories: 41 grams protein
calories: 162 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 462.24 milligrams sodium