This hearty Italian beef stew dish is enriched with the flavours of rosemary, sage and savoury pancetta.
The ingredient of Spezzatino di manzo (Italian beef stew)
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 100g pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt, to season
The instruction how to make Spezzatino di manzo (Italian beef stew)
- Place flour in a sealable plastic bag. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of beef and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining oil and beef, reheating the pan between batches.
- Add the pancetta, carrot, celery, onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the wine, scraping the pan with a flat-edged wooden spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base. Stir in the beef, tomato, stock, rosemary and sage. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the beef is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Stir in the capers. Season with salt and pepper and top with parsley.
Nutritions of Spezzatino di manzo (Italian beef stew)calories: 497.12 calories
calories: 22 grams fat
calories: 6.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 16 grams carbohydrates
calories: 58 grams protein