Use the fluffy dumplings to soak up the delicious flavours of this hearty beef and beer stew. Its the perfect winter warmer.
The ingredient of One-pot beef and beer stew with horseradish dumplings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 800g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 4 eschalots, peeled, halved
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra small sprigs to serve
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 330ml bottle pale ale
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Massel beef style liquid stock
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 100g chilled butter, grated
- 1/3 cup pale ale
- 1/4 cup horseradish cream
The instruction how to make One-pot beef and beer stew with horseradish dumplings
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in 2 batches, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add eschalot, carrot, parsnip and mushroom to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables start to brown. Add pepper and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add flour. Stir to coat. Add beer. Cook for 6 minutes or until reduced by half. Add tomato paste, sauce, stock and 11u20442 cups water. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt.
- Return beef to pan. Cover. Transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until beef is just tender. Increase oven to 200u00b0C/180u00b0C fan-forced.
- Meanwhile, make Horseradish Dumplings: Combine flour and parsley in a bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter in flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in centre. Add beer and horseradish cream. Using a butter knife, stir until just combined. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions. Roll into balls.
- Top stew with dumplings. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until dumplings are golden. Serve topped with extra thyme and parsley.
Nutritions of One-pot beef and beer stew with horseradish dumplingscalories: 816.424 calories
calories: 37.7 grams fat
calories: 18.3 grams saturated fat
calories: 54.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 53.7 grams protein
calories: 161 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1567 milligrams sodium