This delicious beef stew and creamy mash will bring out the Irish in you.
The ingredient of Colcannon with Guinness stew
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 250ml (1 cup) Guinness beer
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1kg sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 40g butter, chopped
- 1/4 (about 500g) savoy cabbage, hard core removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
The instruction how to make Colcannon with Guinness stew
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place the flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add beef and turn to coat.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 2-5 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a 2.5L (10-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Repeat with the remaining beef, reheating pan between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the Guinness, stock, thyme and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Transfer to the ovenproof dish. Bake, covered, for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the colcannon, cook the potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pan. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the cabbage and shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender (do not brown). Add the cabbage mixture and milk to the potato and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the colcannon among serving plates. Top with the stew and sprinkle with parsley and lemon rind to serve.
Nutritions of Colcannon with Guinness stewcalories: 820.487 calories
calories: 32 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 51 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams sugar
calories: 71 grams protein
calories: 596.96 milligrams sodium