Celebrate St Patricks Day with this simple but hearty Irish stew.
The ingredient of Beef and Guinness stew
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- mashed potato, to serve
- Salt, to season
The instruction how to make Beef and Guinness stew
- Place flour and salt and pepper in a snap-lock bag. Add steak and shake to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook steak, in batches, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, carrot and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in Guinness. Add stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return steak and any juices to pan. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until steak is tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mashed potato into shallow bowls. Spoon over stew and serve.
Nutritions of Beef and Guinness stewcalories: 473.22 calories
calories: 26 grams fat
calories: 7 grams saturated fat
calories: 9 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4 grams sugar
calories: 45 grams protein
calories: 124 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 654.36 milligrams sodium