Fragrant and hard to resist, this fish stew combines seafood and the exciting tomato flavours of France. A baguette is perfect to mop up the sauce.
The ingredient of French-style fish stew
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 6 large green prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined, shells reserved
- 150ml white wine
- 200ml good-quality fish stock
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 desiree potato, chopped
- Pared zest of 1 orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tbs harissa
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 12 mussels, debearded
- 200g firm boneless fish, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Baguette, to serve
The instruction how to make French-style fish stew
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Fry the prawn shells for 1-2 minutes until they turn pink. Add the wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half. Add the stock and bring to a simmer, then strain and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the fennel, onion and garlic, season and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Meanwhile, cook potato in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until almost tender, then drain.
- Add orange zest, bay leaf, thyme and half the harissa to onion mixture. Then stir in potato, tomato puree, canned tomato and strained stock. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced, then season.
- Add the peeled prawns, mussels and fish, then bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until seafood is just cooked and the mussels have opened.
- Combine mayonnaise with remaining harissa. Sprinkle the stew with parsley, then serve with baguette and mayonnaise.
Nutritions of French-style fish stewcalories: 388.853 calories
calories: 22.2 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 21.3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3.9 grams sugar
calories: 21.6 grams protein
calories: 87 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 448 milligrams sodium