With lots of vegies and spices galore, this beef dish sure packs a flavour punch. Simply cook it ahead then reheat it when you need dinner in a hurry.
The ingredient of Vietnamese beef stew
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 stems lemon grass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1L (4 cups) Massel beef stock (see note)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see note)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 French shallots, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- Fresh Thai basil leaves, to serve
- Steamed green round beans, to serve
- Steamed white rice, to serve
The instruction how to make Vietnamese beef stew
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef, reheating the pan between batches.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomato paste and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return beef to pan. Add ginger, lemon grass, five spice, star anise and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Stir in the stock, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add French shallots and carrot. Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes or until shallots and carrot are tender. (To freeze, see note.)
- Top with basil. Serve with beans and rice.
Nutritions of Vietnamese beef stewcalories: 276.762 calories
calories: 10 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4 grams sugar
calories: 40 grams protein
calories: 112 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1121.03 milligrams sodium