This low-fat vegetarian stew with pumpkin, eggplant and chickpea is a super-quick meal option for any time of the year.
The ingredient of Pumpkin, eggplant & chickpea stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin
- 350g (about 3) baby eggplant
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 x 400g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 x 200g pkt pitted prunes
- 380g (2 cups) couscous
- 1/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, torn
The instruction how to make Pumpkin, eggplant & chickpea stew
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and deseed the pumpkin and cut into 1.5cm pieces. Cut the eggplant into 1.5cm-thick slices.
- Reduce heat to low, add the garlic, cumin, ginger and cayenne to the onion and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add pumpkin, eggplant, tomatoes, chickpeas and stock, and stir to combine. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, halve the prunes lengthways. Add the prunes to the stew and stir through.
- Prepare the couscous following packet directions. Serve the stew with the couscous and sprinkle with the parsley.
Nutritions of Pumpkin, eggplant & chickpea stewcalories: 729.906 calories
calories: 9 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 127 grams carbohydrates
calories: 37 grams sugar
calories: 25 grams protein
calories: 422.21 milligrams sodium