Create a thick and luscious stew with this tender slow-cooked lamb infused with Indian spices and served with fresh flat bread.
The ingredient of Masala lamb and chickpea stew
- 3/4 cup (150g) dried chickpeas
- 1kg boneless lamb shoulder, well-trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons plain flour
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 small (200g) carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/2 small (200g) celeriac, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 small (200g) parsnips, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Flat breads, to serve
The instruction how to make Masala lamb and chickpea stew
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by 8cm. Soak them at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 1 day. Drain.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and half of the lamb to the pot. Cook, turning as needed, for 10 mins or until brown on all sides. Transfer the lamb to a plate. Repeat with the remaining lamb and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion to the pot and sautu00e9, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, for 3 mins or until the onion is tender and golden. Add the ginger, garlic, garam masala, cayenne and cumin. Sautu00e9 for 1 min or until fragrant. Sprinkle the flour over and stir for 1 min. Stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas, lamb, 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Add the carrots, celeriac and parsnips and cook for 1 hour longer or until the meat, chickpeas and vegetables are tender. Skim off any excess fat from the surface of the stew. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the stew into shallow bowls and serve with the lime wedges, coriander and flat breads.
Nutritions of Masala lamb and chickpea stewcalories: 912.98 calories
calories: 49 grams fat
calories: 31 grams saturated fat
calories: 27 grams carbohydrates
calories: 84 grams protein