A generous dollop of plum jam adds sweetness to this hearty beef stew.
The ingredient of Fruity beef casserole
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1kg lean stewing beef, diced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 lemon, zested plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 1/2 cup plum jam
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Creamy mashed potato, to serve
The instruction how to make Fruity beef casserole
- Preheat oven to 170u00b0C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add the beef, in batches, and cook until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add the carrot, garlic, tomato paste, flour and chilli powder. Stir to combine and cook for a further minute. Add the lemon rind and lemon juice, beef stock and plum jam (the liquid needs to just cover the meat so add a little water if necessary).
- Season well with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then place in the preheated oven and cook covered for 2 hours until the beef is tender.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve with some creamy mashed potato.
Nutritions of Fruity beef casserolecalories: 606.582 calories
calories: 25 grams fat
calories: 8 grams saturated fat
calories: 36 grams carbohydrates
calories: 33 grams sugar
calories: 57 grams protein
calories: 118 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 526.87 milligrams sodium