This hearty French stew is a tasty mix of diced pork, sausage and cannelini beans.
The ingredient of Cassoulet
- 4 (about 400g) beef sausages
- 300g speck, cut into 2cm pieces
- 500g diced pork
- 2 brown onions, halved, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml (1 cup) dry red wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bouquet garni (MasterFoods brand)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 105g (1 1/2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Cassoulet
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C. Heat a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add sausages and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown. Thickly slice sausages diagonally and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Add the speck to the casserole dish and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to the bowl with the sausage. Add half the pork to the casserole dish and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to the bowl. Repeat with the remaining pork, reheating the dish between batches.
- Add onion and garlic to casserole dish and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add wine and bring to the boil. Add sausages, speck, pork, tomato, cannellini beans, thyme and bouquet garni and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and sprinkle with half the breadcrumbs. Return to oven and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the breadcrumbs through the pork mixture. Increase oven temperature to 180u00b0C. Sprinkle pork mixture with remaining breadcrumbs. Return to oven and cook for a further 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and pork is tender. Remove from oven.
- Spoon the cassoulet among serving plates and serve immediately with green beans and crusty bread.
Nutritions of Cassouletcalories: 571.21 calories
calories: 30 grams fat
calories: 12 grams saturated fat
calories: 26 grams carbohydrates
calories: 8 grams sugar
calories: 41 grams protein
calories: 147 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1190.75 milligrams sodium