Best made in advance to develop the flavours, this spicy slow-cooked beef and kidney bean stew is camping food through and through.
The ingredient of Chilli beef and beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 650g diced casserole beef
- 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons Mexican chilli powder
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (see related recipe), to serve
The instruction how to make Chilli beef and beans
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining beef, reheating the pan between batches.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until soft and light golden. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour, cumin, coriander and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato and stock and cook, scraping the pan with a flat-edged wooden spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base. Return the beef to the pan. Cover and bring just to the boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the beans and increase heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Spoon among serving plates. Serve with the sweet potatoes (see related recipe).
Nutritions of Chilli beef and beanscalories: 289.429 calories
calories: 11 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 15 grams carbohydrates
calories: 7 grams sugar
calories: 30 grams protein
calories: 51 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 423.72 milligrams sodium