Let us give shanks - in a tender, rich stew to have now or freeze for later.
The ingredient of Mediterranean-style lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Massel beef style stock cubes, crumbled
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Soft polenta (see note), to serve
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Mediterranean-style lamb shanks
- Place flour in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add shanks. Toss to coat. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Cook shanks, in batches, turning, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add wine, tomato, stock, 2 cups cold water, thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Add shanks. Cover with lid. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove lid. Simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and falling off the bone. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve with soft polenta and basil.
Nutritions of Mediterranean-style lamb shankscalories: 363.997 calories
calories: 19 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 10 grams carbohydrates
calories: 7 grams sugar
calories: 30 grams protein
calories: 94 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 684.01 milligrams sodium