The perfect Boeuf Bourguignon is made with fresh quality ingredients for a flavour-packed finish.
The ingredient of Boeuf Bourguignon
- 750ml btl Burgundian pinot noir
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g speck or streaky bacon, rind removed, cut into batons
- 500g French shallots, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak or gravy beef, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel beef stock
- 20g butter
- 200g small Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled
- Creamy mashed potato, to serve
- 10cm piece celery
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh continental parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
The instruction how to make Boeuf Bourguignon
- Preheat oven to 150u00b0C/130u00b0C fan forced. Bring the wine to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside until required.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbs of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Cook the speck, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Add the shallots and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until golden. Stir in the garlic for 1 minute or until aromatic. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a separate bowl, reserving fat in dish.
- Season beef. Return dish to medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in 3 batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Return all the beef to the dish. Sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until coated. Add the wine and stock. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until mixture comes to a simmer.
- For the bouquet garni, tie the celery, thyme, parsley and bay leaves together with kitchen string. Add bouquet garni and speck to the dish. Bring to the boil. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour. Return the vegetable mixture to the dish. Cover and bake, stirring halfway through cooking time, for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Heat butter and remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until browned. Add the mushrooms and Dutch carrots to the dish. Return to stovetop and simmer, covered, over medium- low heat for 10 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce thickens slightly. Rest, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve with creamy mashed potato.
Nutritions of Boeuf Bourguignoncalories: