Create an authentic Vietnamese-style dinner with this delicious caramel and coconut pork served on a bed of coconut rice.
The ingredient of Vietnamese caramel and coconut pork with pomelo salad
- 1/4 cup (60ml) peanut oil
- 1 cup (150g) finely chopped palm sugar
- 1/4 cup (40g) shredded fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 eschalots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1.2kg pork belly, skin on
- 1/2 cup (125ml) fish sauce
- Juice of 4 drinking coconuts (about 1.1L)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 50g fresh dry coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 pomelos, peeled, segmented, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup round mint leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup fried eschalots (see note), to serve
- 1 cup (200g) jasmine rice
- 175ml coconut milk
- 175ml water
The instruction how to make Vietnamese caramel and coconut pork with pomelo salad
- Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole pan or saucepan over medium heat. Add 140g of palm sugar and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until sugar caramelises. Add ginger, garlic and half the eschalot, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add pork and stir to coat. Add 1/3 cup (80ml) fish sauce, coconut juice and soy sauce. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until tender.
- Remove pork from pan, cover with foil and set aside in a warm place to rest. Increase heat to high and cook sauce for 30 minutes or until reduced by two-thirds. Reduce heat to low. Return pork to pan and stir to coat. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes, basting regularly.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spread coconut over a foil-lined oven tray and cook in oven for 15 minutes or until toasted. Cool.
- To make coconut rice, cook jasmine rice following packet instructions for the absorption method, substituting coconut milk for half the water.
- Meanwhile, place lime juice, remaining fish sauce and palm sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Combine pomelo, mint, coriander, remaining eschalots and toasted coconut in a bowl. Add dressing and gently toss to combine. Remove pork from sauce, slice and arrange on plates. Top with a little sauce and pomelo salad, then sprinkle with fried eschalots. Serve with coconut rice.
Nutritions of Vietnamese caramel and coconut pork with pomelo saladcalories: 985.875 calories
calories: 49 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 63 grams carbohydrates
calories: 62 grams sugar
calories: 70 grams protein
calories: 171 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 4309.17 milligrams sodium