A hearty stew of tomato, barley and sausage, perfect to warm and satisfy on a cold, winters day.
The ingredient of Sausages with savoury tomato pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley (see note)
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 500g lean beef sausages
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Sausages with savoury tomato pearl barley
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a deep, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add barley. Stir until coated with oil mixture. Add stock, 1 cup cold water, diced tomatoes and semi-dried tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add sausages. Cook, turning, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove to a board. Cut into thick pieces.
- Add sausages to tomato mixture. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through parsley. Spoon into serving bowls. Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
Nutritions of Sausages with savoury tomato pearl barleycalories: 553.046 calories
calories: 21 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 58 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams sugar
calories: 25 grams protein
calories: 1162.27 milligrams sodium