With pearl barley and plenty of vegies, this French braise is feel-good comfort food.
The ingredient of Get-ahead tarragon chicken
- 105g (1/2 cup) pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x 1.2kg chickens, each cut into 6 pieces
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 175g short-cut bacon rashers, rind removed, cut into batons
- 6 small French shallots, peeled, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Cream Delight potatoes, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 Continental Salt Reduced Chicken Stock Pot
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Get-ahead tarragon chicken
- Place barley in a bowl. Cover with cold water. Set aside for 6 hours or overnight to soak. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Cook the celery, carrot, bacon and shallot, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic for 1 minute or until aromatic. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large, heavy-based roasting pan. Stir in the potato, barley and bay leaves. Arrange the chicken pieces on top.
- Dissolve stock in the boiling water. Add the stock, wine and tarragon to the frying pan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Season. Pour over the chicken mixture. Cover the roasting pan tightly with 2 layers of foil. Bake for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Bake the vegetables, covered, for a further 20 minutes or until tender. Serve the chicken and vegetables with bread.
Nutritions of Get-ahead tarragon chickencalories: 666.81 calories
calories: 38 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 21 grams carbohydrates
calories: 58 grams protein