A classic French beef stew, packed with vegetables, marinated overnight and then slow cooked in the oven. Bon appetit.
The ingredient of Justines beef daube
- 4 sprigs fresh continental parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf or dried bay leaf
- 1.5L (2 btls) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) port
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into batons
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 celery stick, cut into batons
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 (about 1.5 kg) beef cheeks, trimmed of sinew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 thick strip orange rind
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 6 French shallots, unpeeled
- 250g speck, cut into batons
- 450g button mushrooms, halved
- Fresh continental parsley, chopped, to serve
- Mashed potato, to serve
The instruction how to make Justines beef daube
- To make a bouquet garni, bundle parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs and bay leaf together. Use kitchen string to wrap around and tie to secure. Simmer wine and port in a saucepan over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until reduced slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer wine mixture to a large glass bowl. Add bouquet garni, carrot, onion, celery, garlic and beef. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge overnight to marinate. Remove beef from marinade, reserving liquid and vegies. Pat beef dry. Dust with flour.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Season. Add vegies. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Add bouquet garni, rind and reserved liquid. Bring to the boil, skimming the surface.
- Preheat oven to 165C/145C fan forced. Add stock to dish. Place a disc of baking paper over stew. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bake, turning meat halfway through cooking, for 3 hours or until beef is almost falling apart.
- Meanwhile, cook shallots in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes or until soft. Peel shallots. Cook speck, mushroom and shallot in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until speck is crisp.
- Transfer beef and carrot to bowls. Keep warm. Strain liquid through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes until thickened. Add to meat. Top with speck mixture and parsley. Serve with mash.
Nutritions of Justines beef daubecalories: