A cross between a stew and a soup, this hearty beef stoup is topped with creamy cauliflower mash.
The ingredient of Beef, speck and cabbage stoup with microwave cauliflower mash
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 500g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g speck, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 eschalots, peeled (see note)
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 1 carrot, thickly sliced diagonally
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups Massel beef style liquid stock
- 1 cup roughly shredded green savoy cabbage
- 500g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cream delight potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 40g butter, chopped
The instruction how to make Beef, speck and cabbage stoup with microwave cauliflower mash
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef. Toss to coat. Heat u00bd the oil in large heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add beef, shaking off excess flour. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Cook speck for 2 minutes or until starting to brown. Add eschalot, mushroom, carrot, thyme and bay leaves. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables start to brown. Add red wine. Cook for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add stock and 1u00bd cups water. Bring to a simmer. Return beef to pan. Cover. Transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in cabbage. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make microwave cauliflower mash. Place cauliflower and potato in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 8 minutes or until tender. Add sour cream and butter. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve stoup dolloped with mash and sprinkled with extra thyme.
Nutritions of Beef, speck and cabbage stoup with microwave cauliflower mashcalories: 677.804 calories
calories: 37.5 grams fat
calories: 16.4 grams saturated fat
calories: 20.6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 39.7 grams protein
calories: 135 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1108 milligrams sodium