Try this low-fat version of the classic French stew with melt-in-the-mouth cheese dumplings.
The ingredient of Beef bourguignon with parmesan dumplings
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 750g piece beef topside roast, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 eschalots (French shallots), peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 500g small button mushrooms
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 95g (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 20g reduced-fat dairy spread
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 185ml (3/4 cup) no-fat milk
The instruction how to make Beef bourguignon with parmesan dumplings
- Place the flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the beef and gently toss until evenly coated. Shake off excess flour.
- Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer the beef to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with the remaining oil and beef, reheating the pan between batches.
- Add the eschalots, carrot and mushrooms to the dish and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the beef, wine, stock, tomato, bay leaves and thyme to the dish. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until the beef is tender. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, sift the flour into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the dairy spread into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the parmesan and parsley and stir until well combined. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until evenly incorporated. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Arrange the dumplings over the beef. Cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through. Spoon the beef and dumplings among serving plates and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Beef bourguignon with parmesan dumplingscalories: 505.963 calories
calories: 11 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 52 grams carbohydrates
calories: 8 grams sugar
calories: 41 grams protein
calories: 48 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 942.83 milligrams sodium