The whole family will enjoy this Indian-inspired chicken mulligatawny stoup, a cross between a soup and stew.
The ingredient of Chicken mulligatawny stoup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 8 chicken drumsticks (see notes)
- 2/3 cup basmati rice, rinsed, drained
- 300g Kent pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 red apples, cored, chopped (see notes)
- Plain Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Mango chutney, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken mulligatawny stoup
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and celery for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the curry powder and cinnamon. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add stock and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 55 minutes or until chicken is tender. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Add rice, pumpkin and apple to pan. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Using 2 forks, shred meat. Stir chicken into stoup. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve stoup topped with yoghurt, chutney and coriander.
Nutritions of Chicken mulligatawny stoupcalories: 419.206 calories
calories: 10 grams fat
calories: 2 grams saturated fat
calories: 49.3 grams carbohydrates
calories: 30.7 grams protein
calories: 98 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1085 milligrams sodium