This South African take on lamb shank stew is served with a traditional creamy maize meal side.
The ingredient of Beer-braised lamb shanks with mieliepap
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sunflower oil
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1/3 cups (330ml) golden ale
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel beef stock
- 2 cups maize meal (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Beer-braised lamb shanks with mieliepap
- Preheat oven to 140u00b0C. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Season lamb, then cook, turning, for 8-10 minutes until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add carrot, onion and celery, then cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay, then cook for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the beer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Return lamb shanks to the pan, then cover with baking paper and foil. Cook in the oven for 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, to make the mieliepap, bring 1L (4 cups) water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add maize meal in a slow steady stream, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until smooth. Cover and cook for 30 minutes u2013 add a little water if too dry. Stir in milk and 75g butter, then season and remove from heat.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 25g butter in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add mushroom and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove from heat.
- Transfer lamb to a plate and cover with foil, then strain the liquid into a clean saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in mushroom.
- Serve the lamb and mieliepap with the mushroom sauce and garnish with parsley.
Nutritions of Beer-braised lamb shanks with mieliepapcalories: 1104.897 calories
calories: 55.6 grams fat
calories: 21.1 grams saturated fat
calories: 68.4 grams carbohydrates
calories: 5.3 grams sugar
calories: 80.1 grams protein
calories: 277 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 579 milligrams sodium