Golden brown dumplings in this hearty French stew make a delicious winter meal.
The ingredient of French lamb and cannellini bean casserole with rosemary dumplings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
- 12 baby pickling onions, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diagonally sliced
- 2 cups (500ml) rose or white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel beef stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 rosemary stalk
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 30g butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
The instruction how to make French lamb and cannellini bean casserole with rosemary dumplings
- Preheat the oven to 160u00b0C. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole pan over high heat. Add one-quarter of the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 3 more batches with remaining lamb.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Add the lamb, wine, beef stock, bouquet garni and rosemary. Remove from heat. Bake in preheated oven, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Add the cannellini beans and stir to combine. Increase oven temperature to 200u00b0C.
- Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, place the flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour. Add the rosemary and stir to combine. Add the milk and use a round-bladed knife to stir until mixture just comes together.
- Remove casserole from the oven. Spoon tablespoonfuls of dumpling mixture over the casserole. Bake in oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until dumplings are golden brown and cooked through. Serve with steamed green beans, if desired.
Nutritions of French lamb and cannellini bean casserole with rosemary dumplingscalories: 847.733 calories
calories: 39 grams fat
calories: 13 grams saturated fat
calories: 66 grams carbohydrates
calories: 19 grams sugar
calories: 36 grams protein
calories: 100 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1525.39 milligrams sodium