Everyone will love these herb dumplings dunked in the hearty beef stew.
The ingredient of Beef and vegetable casserole
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1kg beef chuck steak, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pickling onions, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled, halved, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 swede, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup milk
- 60g butter, melted
The instruction how to make Beef and vegetable casserole
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C/140u00b0C fan-forced. Place flour and beef in a snap-lock bag. Season with salt and pepper. Shake to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy-based, ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to dish. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Return beef to dish with stock, tomato, carrot, parsnip, swede and celery. Bring to the boil. Cover with lid. Transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, make dumplings: Combine flours and parsley in a jug. Make a well in the centre. Add milk and butter. Stir to form a soft dough. Roll mixture into 12 dumplings.
- Arrange dumplings over beef mixture. Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve.
Nutritions of Beef and vegetable casserolecalories: 672.785 calories
calories: 29.9 grams fat
calories: 11.8 grams saturated fat
calories: 48.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 47 grams protein
calories: 141 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 962 milligrams sodium