For a meal well worth the wait, try this tender lamb hotpot infused with rosemary and thyme. Recipe by Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Lancashire hotpot
- 1kg Coles Australian Lamb Forequarter Chops, bones removed, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain flouru2028
- 3 tablespoons (about) olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (about 300g)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely choppedu2028
- 2 large thyme sprigs u2028
- 1 rosemary sprig u2028
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 2 swedes (about 600g total), peeled, cutu00a0into 2cm pieces
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) salt-reduced chicken stock, atu00a0room temperature
- 500g medium Cru00e8me Royale potatoes, peeled, cut into 3mm-thick rounds
- 40g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
The instruction how to make Lancashire hotpot
- Preheat oven to 175C (155C fan-forced). Season lamb generously with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss lamb with flour to lightly coat. Shake off excess flour and transfer lamb to a plate. Heat a large, deep heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs of oil and half the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 mins or until golden brown. Transfer lamb to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining lamb, adding more oil if needed.
- Add 1 tbs of oil and onion to pan and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, for 5 mins or until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook for 3 mins. Add wine and cook for 10 mins or until liquid has completely evaporated. Stir in swedes and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 20cm-square baking dish. Arrange the lamb evenly over vegetable mixture and drizzle with any juices. Pour enough stock over the lamb and vegetables to almost cover the lamb.
- Arrange half the potato slices, in a single, tight even layer, overlapping slightly, over meat. Brush with half the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Repeat to form another layer of potato. Brush with the remaining butter and season.
- Loosely cover the dish with foil and place on a baking tray. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is almost tender. Remove foil and continue baking for 1 hour or until potato is golden brown and liquid has reduced and thickened. Stand for 20 mins. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Nutritions of Lancashire hotpotcalories: