This hearty pork and apple cider casserole with sage brown rice is proudly brought to you by taste.com.au and SunRice.
The ingredient of Pork and apple cider casserole with sage brown rice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 800g pork shoulder, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 brown onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium fennel, cut into wedges
- 1 carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250ml) dry apple cider
- 4 1/2 cups (1.125L) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 50g butter
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) SunRice brown rice
- 2 pink lady apples, cut into wedges
The instruction how to make Pork and apple cider casserole with sage brown rice
- Preheat oven to 150C. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole pan over high heat. Add one-third of the pork; cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining pork in 2 batches.
- Add remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Return pork and sprinkle over flour; cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until well combined. Add the mustard and stir to combine. Add cider and 11/2 cups (375ml) of the chicken stock. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Bake, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour 30 minutes or until pork is very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 40g of the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add sage leaves, in batches, cooking for 2 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate. Add rice and stir to combine. Pour over remaining stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat; set side, covered, for 5 minutes to rest. Return half the sage and toss to combine.
- Heat remaining butter large frying pan over high heat. Add apple wedges; cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- Divide rice among serving bowls. Top with pork casserole and apple wedges. Sprinkle with remaining sage leaves to serve.
Nutritions of Pork and apple cider casserole with sage brown ricecalories: