Beef cooked slowly with bacon, mushrooms and red wine, and covered with cheesy dumplings - ah, what a heavenly winter dinner.
The ingredient of Slow-cooked beef with parmesan & herb dumplings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.8kg gravy beef, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 400g button mushrooms, halved
- 5 (about 250g) bacon rashers, rind removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 3 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 90g (1/3 cup) tomato paste
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Parmesan & herb dumplings
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 80g chilled butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 60g (3/4 cup) shredded parmesan
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
The instruction how to make Slow-cooked beef with parmesan & herb dumplings
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef, reheating the pan between batches.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add mushroom, bacon, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the beef, tomato, stock, wine and rosemary. Stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender. Stir in the tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the parmesan & herb dumplings, place flour in a large bowl and use your fingertips to rub butter into flour. Stir in the parsley and 40g (1/2 cup) of the parmesan. Add the milk. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until evenly incorporated and the mixture begins to hold together. Divide the mixture evenly into 18 portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 220u00b0C. Transfer the beef mixture to a 4L (16-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Place dumplings on top. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are golden.
Nutritions of Slow-cooked beef with parmesan & herb dumplingscalories: 905.81 calories
calories: 44 grams fat
calories: 19 grams saturated fat
calories: 44 grams carbohydrates
calories: 83 grams protein