For a healthy weeknight meal, you can rely on this hearty vegetable-rich chicken and lentil hotpot.
The ingredient of Chicken and lentil hotpot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets (900g), trimmed and sliced into 3
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups (750ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cup (200g) brown lentils or green lentils, rinsed well
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh marjoram
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Fresh crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and lentil hotpot
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season chicken and sear in batches for 1 minute or until golden. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil and onion to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery and carrot, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in stock and 2 cups of cold water. Return chicken to pan with lentils and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes skimming off excess oil.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and marjoram. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Remove from heat, stir in the spinach and season to taste. Divide among 4 bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Nutritions of Chicken and lentil hotpotcalories: