A little bacon goes a long way to adding richness and depth to the flavours in this Bacon and vegetable soup.
The ingredient of Bacon and vegetable soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 rashers middle bacon, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 small swede, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
- 1 medium desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
The instruction how to make Bacon and vegetable soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek and garlic, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until leek has softened. Add bacon, celery, carrot and swede. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until bacon is golden.
- Stir in barley, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes or until barley has softened.
- Stir in zucchini and potato. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add basil. Stir to combine. Serve.
Nutritions of Bacon and vegetable soupcalories: 326.952 calories
calories: 14.1 grams fat
calories: 4.6 grams saturated fat
calories: 28.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 19.5 grams protein
calories: 39 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1912 milligrams sodium